Thursday, April 7, 2011

37 Days

I am currently on the last senior rotation I will have at the veterinary teaching hospital at VT and I cannot believe it. In some ways I feel ready, in some ways I don't want to leave. It has been one busy block on large animal services, but I absolutely love horses. They are amazing, and I am no longer afraid. I have been blessed with some really great patients to work with, including a baby camel and her mom, who was thankfully nice as far as camel mom's go. I barely had a weekend last week, but as for my last few weeks in Blacksburg I cannot complain. The cases have been rewarding and I have learned a lot. I am more comfortable than I ever imagined I would be and I hope to learn more about horses as a hobby in the future. Lameness is so much more exciting when it is happening in a horse and not in a lecture.

Today I got to experience some alternative medicine therapies applied to chronic back pain; tomorrow I will massage my horse with a human electric massager! While I am nervous that I have been out of the small animal realm for a while before starting my internship, it will be a long time before I get to do this again and it's fun. I realize more each day that life really is the journey and not the destination, although reaching your destination is extremely fulfilling it's the journey that makes it that way.

9 more days of horses than off to work with wildlife. I cannot believe that my life as a veterinary student is coming to a close.

3 comments:

Laura Ann Riggs said...

I am amazed at how far you have come :). I am so excited for you. It's been a while since I have commented on your posts, but I do read them. We just got done with 4-H Dairy Goat and being the leader is so so busy. We had a little girl win Showmanship and Breed.

Congratulations o how far you have traveled. You will do great! are you sure you don't want to be a large animal vet? So needed in Arizona :):)

Simmons said...

so, i am just catching up on your blog...wildlife? they have a wildlife block? that is awesome! is that right there at VT? i don't remember seeing a wildlife wing...

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Puppy Preschool Perth | Dog Groomer Perth | Puppy Classes Perth