Friday, May 6, 2011

4 Years in Reflection

Clearly, I like lists I am a type A vet student. As the week of graduation quickly approaches, I wanted to reflect on the top 10 things that have happened to me over the past 4 years.
  1. Traveled to China, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Scotland and England, and Spokane, Washington.
  2. Attended many veterinary conferences: North American Veterinary Conference, Merck Summer Scholars Conference at Michigan State, VBMA National Meeting, SAVMA Symposium at Ohio State, VVMA conference in Roanoke, VA.
  3. Rescued my dog on a Humane Society RAVS trip.
  4. Learned how to handle wild raptors, songbirds, and mammals.
  5. Lived alone.
  6. Lived in Blacksburg, VA, a special place indeed.
  7. Became a crossfit junkie.
  8. Discovered rock climbing and kayaking.
  9. Created and developed lifelong friendships.
  10. Became a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
There are countless other moments that occurred over the past 4 years that have changed my life and shaped who I am. I have become stronger and wiser, while remaining humble and ignorant of many things left to learn. I left a lifeless career to enter a bright, challenging career with the bills to prove it.

Thanks vet school. Thanks to all my friends for their endless support. Thanks to my amazing 3 cats and wonderful dog. Thanks to all my teachers. Thanks to myself for persevering and finding the strength to get through the 4 years. Lastly and most importantly, thanks to my husband. He never wavered when I wanted to quit and drive 500+ miles a week to support me. I cannot wait to support you on your journey of higher education.

This blog entry marks the end of life of a veterinary student. I hope to create a new blog entitled "Life of a Veterinary Intern." Thank you followers for making me a part of your journeys. You can always email me with questions or for inspiration. 7+ years in the making and I can tell you, anythign is possible if you are passionate and work hard enough.

16 comments:

Alyeshia said...

I've been reading your blogs for a few days now and I must say that reading them has kept me motivated to go after my dream as becoming a veterinarian. Right now I'm just trying to get all my undergrad classes out of the way so I can transfer. Thanks soo much for giving us a inside scoop on what it is like as a veterinary student. I'm looking forward to it.

Felix said...

Your blog has kept me motivated for the past months. If you make a new one, please let us know.

Yay you're a vet!!! :D

Rachel said...

I hope you do start a new blog. :) I'm in my first year of college for undergrad and sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the end result, but reading your blog makes me want to keep working. Congrats on graduating!

Danny A. said...

So cool and inspiring

Danny A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tink_89 said...

Hi I just wanted to say that your blog is now my inspiration whenever I feel the workload is too much etc because your blog shows it is possible and if you work hard enough you can become a vet. I loved reading your blog. Im about to start vet school in the UK, very different over here as its an undergrad course but Im guessing the principles are the same. Thank you very much for an interesting read. I look forward to reading your life as an intern :)

Behijoon said...

hi buddy.i am from iran and i am studying veterinary medicine. and i've been reading your blog. i follw your blog. i am freak veterinary medicine. if i have problem. can i consult with you?

Unknown said...

You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you hopefully you keep posting new stuff.
Vet Tech Ohio

Unknown said...

seems like you had a geat time and beautiful experiences. Make me wanna be a veterinary student.
world of animals in philadelphia

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this information. I have been seeing some great results of veterinary hospitals around Draper, Utah. I think I am going to invest in a pet so I can take them to a vet.

Unknown said...

It seems to me that to achieve such results, you need to be rather determined kind of person. Therefore, motivation, i guess takes here the crucial part. I would love to share some tips concerning this: 15 Rules of Motivation.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It's great to see minds like this. I love to see bright minds that will lead the future. We are going to need low cost veterinarians in Aurora, IL to help the people as well.

Unknown said...

I love your blog, vet student. There was a time in my life where I was considering becoming a veterinarian. Then, I got a family. We still adopted two others. Vader, and Scraps. Maybe we'll see you at one of our vet clinics someday. http://www.applevalleyanimalhospital.com

Unknown said...

My daughters dream since she was little was to become a doctor. Now that she is in high school and can take some of those requirements I'd like to see what ones she needs. I want this all to work out so she can live up to her dream. http://www.applevalleyanimalhospital.com

Unknown said...

Really interesting post. I never thought a life of veterinarian but reading this was nice.. a post that brought a smile... FIN 370 Final Exam