Tuesday, January 22, 2008

VBMA National Meeting Epiphany

While the cats all adjust to life in Blacksburg, I had a career-changing experience at the VBMA national conference at the NAVC meeting in Orlando. I met some amazing people, both students and veterinarians. I learned about curriculum's at other schools and how diverse they are. I learned about many of the challenges facing the industry today, but most importantly VBMA students were called together to work with industry leaders to focus on change for the future and the betterment of the veterinary profession.

I was very impressed with the caliber of students running the National VBMA and the respect the VBMA has commanded from industry leaders. It is exciting to be a part of an organization that will lead the evolution of the veterinary profession.

Thanks to some terrific sponsors, the conference had some terrific speakers, including Dr. Ernie Ward who spoke about fitting wellness practices into your life in order to be your best! I completely agree on this topic despite the crazy glances I received last semester when I went to the gym 3 times during a week of midterm exams. I believe in what Dr. Ward said, loved his energy level, and my chapter's VBMA hopes to have him speak on this topic further at our campus.

The last night of the conference BI sponsored a wonderful VIP banquet and Blue Man Group show at Universal Studios. Our ticket was also good for admission to one of the clubs. Th classy VBMA group chose Pat O'Brian's where we sang and danced to dueling piano players all night. A great way to end a life-changing weekend.

Although exhausted and already feeling the pressures of vet school (this happens all too fast), I hope this meeting will keep in perspective why I am here, and the impact I can have with the VBMA to shape my dream career.

No comments: