Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Most Exhilerating Experience


First off, I want to address the difficulty I have had with my age since I turned 30 a month and a half ago. My best friend turned 30 this week and after talking to her I had an epiphany I would like to share.

Perhaps the 20's are about finding out who you are as a person. Things you like or dislike, your values, interests, goals, and career exploration. As I enter my 30's I feel confident in knowing these aspects about myself. While there is a lifetime of learning that remains, perhaps this decade is about enjoying life in your own skin, now that you know what that skin is made of. Just a thought to ease the transition.

The main focus of this blog entry, however, is not a reason why 30 could be better than 20 (who am I kidding), but about a day that will live in infamy. My first rock climbing experience was one of the most demanding, powerful and rewarding experiences I have ever had in my life. Not only was it much more physically demanding than I imagined, or experienced with indoor climbing, but the mental puzzle as you calculate the next move was unexpected, but amazing.

At no point did I feel unsafe. The sport challenges each individuals boundaries and you choose to go on or stop. Whether you reach the anchor or not, a sense of accomplishment is inevitable and the physical challenge unbelievable.

As an avid gym rat and hiker for 7+ years, it has been a while since I have been challenged on this level and felt so alive! While I had always plan to sky dive when I turned 30, I think rock climbing on many levels may have been the more exhilarating choice.

I look forward to getting back out on the rock as soon as my body recovers and in the process learning more about my limitations and the amazing things my mind and body is capable of.

No comments: