Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ahh semester break is sweet!

Sorry for the delay. It turns out that as hard as first semester was, I ended up doing pretty well in all my classes (all 10 of them). My favorites were anatomy and histology, but I can safely say I learned a ton in each class. It feels terrific to have 1 semester of vet school under my belt. I know I will have doubts along the way but for the most part I know I can do this.

Things really came full circle for me this semester. Th first few weeks of transition were so uncomfortable and difficult. I questioned whether I made the right decision leaving my cats and Matt and my great finance job, which was not half as stressful and time consuming. My life seemed pretty great before vet school. But slowly through the semester I made some terrific friends, and plowed through, and in the end I started enjoying it. Right before Thanksgiving I felt the real transformation begin and by the time finals hit, I had no question in my mind that I made the right decision to be here. I was feeling much more comfortable with myself and what I was doing and ready to step up and get involved.

I volunteered for the pet loss helpline.
Became secretary of the pathology club.
Became a speaker coordinator for the small animal club.
Became operations manager for the VBMA.

I learned a lot about myself this semester. Despite thinking I could study all week and have weekends free with Matt I quickly realized this wasn't possible. And the weekends just weren't enough. It never felt right being apart a majority of the time. While the situation was not forever 4 years would be more difficult than I ever could have imagined for this long distance thing to work. Thankfully Matt took a good job in Blacksburg and will join me this semester on this fabulous journey toward a DVM. I was just sitting watching tv over break and realized, I am going to be a veterinarian one day, for real! And it feels so good.

In the meantime, I have been cleaning, applying for summer programs, and spending lots of qt with the cats. I got a little cabin fever earlier in the week and spent all of Wednesday in DC. I checked out the Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery, met a friend for lunch, and saw a Studio Theatre play with my sister. A great day of walking city blocks and getting out of the house. I have been hitting the gym super hard too which feels great. I am in no rush to stop my stretches!!

Saturday I'll head back to my emergency clinic. I am a little nervous and excited at the same time. I know I'll be rusty with some techniques but I should understand some things much better now.

No comments: