Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Summer Research Program Starts with a Bang

Monday May 19 was the first day of the NIH Summer Student Research Program that will occupy the majority of my summer. The first 2 days were in the DC metro area visiting with veterinarians working in alternative careers, most of which require a dual DVM/PHD degree.

We met with veterinarians working for the USDA, NIH, and FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine. There are a wealth of opportunities in what appear to be very rewarding careers. Exposure to these different career paths was enlightening and at the same time daunting because so many aspects of the field excite me. My entire group listened in awe at these amazing careers and after each veterinarian finished we all looked at each other and said, "Now I want to do that!"

I am excited about my summer research project, and once the ethics training required by NIH is completed I will start the actual work after Memorial Day.

No comments: