Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Recap

Somehow I slugged through finals and had a somewhat successful semester. There is some controversy concerning 10% of my class and the school's adjusted "D" grade policy. The administration had informed us that we were grandfathered under the old policy for 3 D's =failing, but apparently they are arguing that 2 D's = failing and 8 classmates may not be returning for the spring semester. I hope this is not the case. The class president sent out a survey to gauge general understanding of the policy, but due to the holidays we have not heard anything further regarding the administrations decision.

The whole issue has caused some backlash between the students and the school's administration, which I think is a shame because I think all of our teachers and staff work very hard and have taught us well. They did not, however, address the policy change to us properly. I hope the situation is rectified properly.

On another note I'd like to recap 2008 accomplishments:
  1. 3 semesters of vet school under my belt.
  2. Tried my hand at biomedical research, and enjoyed a lovely summer in Blacksburg.
  3. Co-published my first review journal article (volume to be determined in early 2009) on toll-like receptors.
  4. Continued networking throughout the veterinary community and exploring alternative career options, such as lab animal medicine.
  5. Had a blast in the UK with old friends.
  6. Received a national VBMA position as the Mid-Atlantic Regional Leader for 2009.
To quickly recap winter break thus far:
  • I was not "into" the holidays this year. I suppose between the crappy economy and lack of funds energy and time it just wasn't my year.
  • Garfield, one of my cats with FLUTD, blocked the weekend after my last exam, while we were in NYC for a party and to visit my mom.
  • I have still not caught up on sleep between working many shifts at the Hope Center and lack of sleep in NY.
  • I visited Covance with the Pathology club and learned more opportunities in lab animal medicine.
  • I have been cleaning the house, and trying to get back into shape.
  • Matt and I cooked a delicious Rick Bayless Mexican meal for New Year's Eve.

I am already starting to get depressed about break being half over:(

Still on the list:
  • Finish cleaning the house.
  • Get more into shape.
  • Apply for summer programs.
  • See more friends and go ice skating at the National Gallery.
  • Try to organize more photos.
  • Watch more movies and unlock the 3 other races in Mariokart.
  • Attend the National VBMA meeting at NAVC in Orlando.
While spring semester will be very interesting and start bringing concepts together, I believe it will be very challenging and I am still tired. I can only hope the next few weeks can rejuvenate me enough to get through to May 14.

No comments: